A drill press is a perfect tool for all the bold and big projects that you’ve planned for your job site or home. Primarily, a handheld power drill is right for small tasks. However, a metal drill press can accommodate large drill bits for cutting holes in metal. Undoubtedly, A metal drill press is one of the most functional machines. Plus, you can fit it with the other machines like a mortising attachment that can drill square holes and a rotary sanding disc.
When it comes to performance, a metal drill press provides exceptional accuracy in making similar holes ensuring the same precision of width, angle, and depth.
Above all, this tool is for every woodworker as it’s the most important tool in the wood workshop.
In this guide, we’ve tried to make your research and buying decision of this tool easier. We’ve narrowed down the best drill presses to help you get the right one for your specific requirements. Without anything more to add, let’s get down to business.
Table of Contents
- Best Metal Drill Press Comparison Table
- Metal Drill Press: Top Alternatives
- 1. Genesis GDP1005A 10″ 5-Speed 4.1 Amp Drill Press
- Top Features
- 2. BILT HARD 13 inch Floor Drill Pre
- Top Features
- 3. WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
- Top Features
- 4. SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench – 97511MDP
- Top Features
- 5. SHOP FOX W1669 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Radial Drill Press
- Top Features
- 6. Uyoyous 6-Inch Cross-Sliding Vise Heavy
- Top Features
- 7. BILT HARD 8 in. Drill Press
- Top Features
- 8. Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Floor Drill Press
- Top Features
- 9. DEWALT DWE1622K Drill Press
- Top Features
- 10. Hougen HMD904 115-Volt Magnetic Drill
- Top Features
- Best Metal Drill Press: FAQs
- Wrapping Up
Best Metal Drill Press Comparison Table
Below is the comparison table for metal drill presses. The table includes the prominent features of the top metal drill presses.
So, let’s have a look:
Quick List of Best Metal Drill Press Today – In 2021
- Genesis GDP1005A 10 Drill Press
- BILT HARD 13 inch Floor Drill Pre
- WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
- SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench – 97511MDP
- SHOP FOX W1669 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Radial Drill Press
- Uyoyous 6-Inch Cross-Sliding Vise Heavy
- BILT HARD 8 in. Drill Press
- Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Floor Drill Press
- DEWALT DWE1622K Drill Press
- Hougen HMD904 115-Volt Magnetic Drill
Metal Drill Press: Top Alternatives
The following are the ten best alternatives of metal drill presses.
1. Genesis GDP1005A 10″ 5-Speed 4.1 Amp Drill Press
First and foremost, Genesis GDP1005A is the top pick on our list. With industrial modern design and five speeds at your disposal, it’s quite an asset to have.
It is suitable for drilling long hours, as it offers a unique built-in LED light that can illuminate the work table when needed. The table is fully rotatable, can shift to 360 degrees, and can tilt up to 45 degrees.
It is an adaptable drill press with ⅝ inch chuck. It is designed to work well with different pieces of material.
Genesis allows you to do the drill work without making much noise, yet offer the work with maximum precision. It is powered by a 4.1 amp motor.
For adjustments, it offers a pinion and a rack. This way, you may easily set the desired height of the table.
If you want good speed while drilling, it can adjust to your requirements in a matter of seconds. This way, you may quickly shift between different speeds.
Moreover, it comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer, to back up your investment.
- Has a motor of 4.1amp, 120V, and 46 horsepower
- Includes a Chuck Key, Allen Wrenches and two “AA” Batteries for Work Light
- Heavy Cast-Iron Base for Stability
- Built-in LED Work Light for Illuminating the Work Surface
- ON/OFF Switch with Removable Safety Key
- 3-Spoke Spindle Travel Handle with Built-In Adjustable Depth-Stop
- Easy to Use Rack-and-Pinion Table Height Adjustment
- 4.1 Amp Induction Motor for Quiet, Smooth Performance
2. BILT HARD 13 inch Floor Drill Pre
Brand: BILT HARD
The Bilt Hard Drill Press is perfect for both your shop and home. With the heavy-duty Bilt hard drill press, you can easily drill through metal, plastic, and wood, plastic, and metal.
The construction of the floor drill press is of cast iron. This way, the drill press can ensure reduced vibration. In addition, this drill press offers a solid cast iron table, an adjustable depth stop with gauge, and smooth rack-and-pinion movement.
The table can rotate to 360 degrees and can tilt to 45 degrees right or left.
With the 16 Speed System, you can manually set your speed to 200-3600 RPM by adjusting the belt position on the three spindles.
Overall, this versatile pick is worth your investment.
- Precision machined steel column
- Table rotates 360° and tilts 45 deg
- Cast iron base, table
- Adjustable depth stop with gauge
- Smooth rack-and-pinion table movement
- Heavy duty ball bearing motor
- Horsepower: 3/4 hp
3. WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
Speed: 3140 RPM
Another best benchtop drill press in the list is WEN 4208. This machine comes with a relatively small size but surprisingly powerful. Not only drilling woods, but you can use the machine to drill metal, plastics, and other materials easily due to the power. This benchtop drill press is a perfect choice for woodworkers who need more accurate, precise, and convenient jobs.
- Spindle Taper JT33
- 6-1/2 x 6-1/2″ worktable is height adjustable and bevels up to 45 degrees left & right
- Durable 1/3 HP ( 2.3 amp ) induction motor develops ample torque and power
- Spindle travels up to 2 inches
- Operates at 5 different speeds: 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, 3140 RPM
- Chuck capacity smallest is 1.5mm, largest is 13mm (approx. 1/2 inch)
- Includes a 1/2-inch keyed chuck and onboard key storage
4. SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench – 97511MDP
The SE 97511MDP drill press is an affordable pick. It has a standard 3-speed variable speed control that performs at 5,000, 6,500, 8,000 RPM.
The steel base of 6-5/8 x 6-5/8 inches offers decent stability and offers little to no vibrations even with the highest speed setting. Besides, the beefy 100 Watts motor of this drill press is enough for everything.
With only 2.8 pounds, it is the lightest mini drill press among other picks.
With a generous spindle height of 7-1/2 inches, you can drill fairly big materials too. And, the working area of 6-9/16 x 6-9/16 inches let you drill without feeling cramped.
Overall, this drill press is an excellent mini portable option ensuring affordability.
- Three variable speed of 5,000, 6,500, 8,000 RPM
- Large work area of 6-9/16 x 6-9/16 inches
- Lightweight at only 2.8 lbs
- Powerful 100 Watts motor
5. SHOP FOX W1669 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Radial Drill Press
Brand: Shop Fox
Power Source:Corded Electric
The W1669 is a true benchtop radial drill press and not a floor drill press.
The Shop Fox benchtop drill press offers a pivoting head that you can extend for up to 34 inches of reach.
It is short in height of about 31-1/2 inches. Due to this, it can fit on a regular workbench. Besides, the cast-iron base has inserted mounts for the solid affix of this drill press, ensuring more stability.
If most of the drill presses do not suit your needs and are too tall, this pick could be a better fit for your working bench.
- Cushioned grip quill handles for comfort
- Safety Switch
- Horizontal Sliding Headstock
- Flexible Tilting Table
- Power of 110V, 5amp, 1/2HP
- Has a ½” drilling capacity on mild steel.
- swing capacity of 34″
6. Uyoyous 6-Inch Cross-Sliding Vise Heavy
Material: Stainless Steel
Dimensions:14.4 x 14.2 x 8.5 in
The Uyoyous 6-Inch cross-sliding vise offers adjustable shims for fair adjustments. This way, you can accurately move the workpiece in longitudinal and horizontal for precision in position.
You can easily adjust the vice for tight tolerance. The heavy-duty cast steel construction of this drill press with machined cold-rolled steel screws ensures precise centering and accurate drilling.
There are multiple mounting holes at the bottom for convenient positioning. Besides, it offers bolt-down slots for secure, removable handles for easy slide on and off.
Overall, this drill is pretty decent for its value.
- Stainless Steel material
- Size of 6-Inches
- Offers precision threaded clamping and cross slide screws
- Heavy-duty cast steel construction
- Multiple mounting holes on the bottom
- Double Direction Design
- Heavy Duty X-Y Compound Cross Drill Press Vise
7. BILT HARD 8 in. Drill Press
The BILT HARD 8 inch 5-Speed Benchtop is a small but powerful drill press.
With a full two inches of spindle travel, this drill press is the perfect pick for both the shop and home
It does the job more precisely and conveniently than a handheld drill. The powerful induction motor offers ball bearings for extended life, all culminating in a balanced and smooth performance even at a higher speed.
Moreover, the frame of this drill press consists of cast iron, ensuring precise drilling and durability. The slotted table offers mounting clamps and vises for convenient work-holding.
The base has predrilled holes for mounting onto a work-stand or bench. The work table can bevel by 45 degrees right and left for angle drills.
Furthermore, the five variable operating speeds let you target the exact speeds that work for your project. It is a small drill press but mighty enough to drill through plastic, wood, metal, and other materials.
- CSA Certified
- Five Spindle Speed
- Chuck Size of 1/2-Inch
- Stroke length of 2 inches
- Horsepower of 1/3 hp
- Heavy duty ball bearing motor
- Table rotates 360° and tilts 45° left and right
- Stamped steel base and table
- Depth stop with gauge
- Adjustable table locks in place
8. Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Floor Drill Press
Speed: 3050 RPM
The brand Shop Fox is Woodstock International’s most famous machinery line. This is why the products from it are the most popular metalworking gadgets in the United States. The brand is credible for its high efficiency and outstanding building quality.
Like the other models of this line, the Shop Fox W1848 also features pretty solid construction. It offers dependable performance and reliable operation. Besides, the one thing that makes this drill press stand out is its sanding capability. With just a few tool-free steps, you may convert this drill from drilling to sanding operations.
The variable-speed motor offers the users flexibility during work. This way, users can select different speed settings that greatly contribute to the versatility of this model.
This drill press has quite solid and durable construction. The best thing about this design is the table. The model offers a 90° tilting table whose height and position you may adjust. Also, you can move the table when you want to use the unit’s base for drilling and sanding.
Moreover, there are various easy-to-clean dust ports because of their sanding capability. Overall, the Shop Fox W1848 is a versatile tool for your workshop.
- Sturdy construction
- Comes with an auto-tensioning belt drive system
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Can be used in 16 different speed settings (170 – 3,000 RPM)
- Has a 6-inch quill stroke that was included to allow intense drilling
- Equipped with a 3/4 HP engine
9. DEWALT DWE1622K Drill Press
The Dewalt DWE1622K stands out in the field of magnetic drill presses as it is among the best.
The brand kept the users in mind while manufacturing this model. For instance, the quick-release handles can remove the simple press of a button and put it back in the slot with just a click.
The design of this model is so close to perfection, having the finest details. It offers great durability that outlasts all other drill presses while offering maximum drill pleasure.
Dewalt design includes a safety chain to prevent potential crashes. This drill press also offers some top-grade magnetic drill press characteristics. For instance, the magnetic cutting fluid bottle can attach to the metal surfaces where the pipe can easily connect to the drill press.
The 10A motor and the two-speed gearbox offer the annular cutter to easily cut through various materials up to 2-inches in diameter. During this, you don’t need to worry about overheating.
- Sound power of 102.5 dB
- Sound pressure of 91.5 dB
- Twist bit capacity of 1/2″
- Magnetic base dimensions of 180 x 84 mm
- Maximum cutting diameter with cutters
- Cutter holder
- No load speed of 300/450 RPM
- Drill stroke length of 147 mm
- Clamping force of 3800 N
- Power input of 1200 Watts
10. Hougen HMD904 115-Volt Magnetic Drill
Last but not least, the Hougen HMD904 offers ergonomic housing and a hidden motor cord. Basically, The HMD904 is a corded magnetic drill press that offers various technical features. This drill press has an 8amps, 115V motor that can deliver a speed of 450RPM.
The tool is suitable for different users that can drill through different metals. It’s also convenient for Jobsite contractors and professionals in different fields. The motor can deliver a bit speed of 450RPM for convenient drills. The dimensions and weight of this drill press make it portable and compact.
- Magnetic Drill
- Hidden Motor Cord
- Ergonomic Housing
- 115V, 8amp
- 920W Power (W)
- 450 Speed RPM
- Chuck Capacity ½”
- Drilling Capacity 2”
- 2 year warranty
Best Metal Drill Press: FAQs
Some of the most frequent questions people ask about metal drill presses are as follows:
Can A Drill Press Drill Metal?
Yes, Absolutely. With a drill press, you can easily drill the holes in metal. Besides, you will always get better results and greater accuracy while drilling metal with a drill press.
Mostly, the manufacturers keep metalworking in mind while making the drill presses.
What Should I Look For In A Metal Drill Press?
The following are some important factors you must look for in a metal drill press.
The depth stop is an important factor if you want to make multiple holes at consistent depths.
Faster speeds are good for wood materials, while slower speeds are for tough materials like metal. Drill presses with speed adjustment feature let you to choose the optimal speed for your tasks. Thus, its better you consider investing in the drill press which offers speed adjustment.
A drill press with high horsepower is better capable of tackling tough jobs. Usually, you’ll require more horsepower while drilling large holes.
What Is The Purpose Of The Drill Press?
Basically, a drill press is a stationary or benchtop power tool used for making holes in hard substances.
The purpose of a drill press boring holes in plastic, metal, or wood.
Can You Mill With A Drill Press?
Yes, absolutely. It is possible to convert a drill press into a mill. However, it requires more work and can’t be as rigid as a real mill.
How Do You Use A Drill Press To Drill To An Exact Depth?
If you want to drill multiple holes of exactly the same depth, you may go about three simple depth gauge steps.
First, cover the drill bit in a clockwise direction with tape at the depth you want the hole. Drill till the tape’s edge touches the surface.
With the use of tape, over-drilling is possible. Thus, as a second method, hold a 3/4-inch dowel with a vise and drill holes through the center.
Trim the dowel to the required depth and slip over the bit. Then, reaching the desired depth will force the drill to stop.
Finally, in the last method, take a piece of copper electrical wire. Insert an end into the drill chuck, and wrap it around in a clockwise direction. Then, use a needle nose plier for tucking the end of the wire. While drilling, you will have both a mechanical and visual stop. Now, you’ve got three simple methods to make depth gauges for your drill. Want to print Transparencies? Have a read if you want to know more about the Circular Saw review.
Consequently, when it comes to metal drill presses, there are a variety of different alternatives to choose from. Before finalizing your buying decision, you must take into account various important factors.
In this article, we’ve covered all of the important information that you must learn before you proceed to buy a metal drill press.
We’ve covered all best metal drill press options in-depth so that you can easily compare the options according to your requirements.
Thus, we have left no stone unturned for compiling this guide, so you can make the right buying decision of the best metal drill press.